Monday, March 22, 2010

Bread Store Shopping Trip

So growing up in my small hometown in Maine, it was normal to go to the bread store for all your bread needs. There was everything from bread to English muffins to pretzels to peanut butter to every kind of Hostess product you could imagine (I got to have 1 Swiss Roll in my lunchbox...). And all this at ridiculously low prices like $0.99- $1.50 for a loaf of bread depending on the quality. My mom still refuse to pay retail for bread if she can avoid it.

So I moved out here and I resigned myself to the fact that I would just have to pay retail for bread. I would just buy what was on sale and somewhat nutritionally sound.

But a few weeks back my mom came to visit. We were driving down the street and she exclaims, "There's a bread store." I sigh. Of course she would find one down the street from my apartment within days of being here that I haven't seen in 3 months of living here. So I made my way over there a few days after she left and came home with this stash.

2 loaves of "good" bread (the 100% whole wheat and potato)
1 loaf "white" bread (I don't like it but The Boy will eat it and hey it was free)
2 Minestorne soup starters (love these for quick meals)
2 packages of Thomas Betterstart Light English muffins (loves these with peanut butter)
1 jar peanut butter
1 bear of honey (I love the bear of honey. It's so cute.)

And my total cost was $14 and change (I don't remember exactly). In the store I would have paid at least $30 based on my guessimates. I could run the numbers exactly but I don't feel like it. Perhaps I will check out the retail prices for the equivalent of these products next time I go grocery shopping.

In closing, I LOVE THE BREAD STORE! and I will not be buying bread in the grocery store anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment