Thursday, February 4, 2010

Making It Up as I go...

So I have a habit of making up recipes as I go along.

Sometimes I look at a recipe and go "I could make that in the CrockPot" (actually, this happens a lot. My name is Jewely and I am addicted to my CrockPot).

Sometimes I think "If I added, this and this, this recipe would be even better."

And sometime I get a reeealll bad craving for queso dip. But I want a whole meal not just a delicious snack. So I said to myself "I could make Queso and Mac for dinner, that would be delicous!" But I didn't have a recipe for Mac and Queso, so I made one up. So I made my way over to my favorite CrockPot cooking blog and found a plain old Mac and Cheese recipe. I changed it up a bit so that I could leave it and wouldn't curdle. Then I added chili peppers, and sausage. It was delicious.

Mac and Queso with Sausage

What You Need:
--1 lb bulk sausage meat (if you only can get the links, just squeeze out the meat)
--1/2 pound uncooked macaroni or hearty pasta (I used penne)
--2 1/2 cups of milk (I used skim cow's)
--1 12oz. can of evaporated milk
--2 eggs
--2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
--2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
--1/2 t kosher salt
--1/2 t black pepper
--1 small can of chilies

What To Do:
Brown and crumble the sausage meat in a pan.

Spray crock well with cooking spray (very important, makes clean up so much easier). In a mixing bowl, whip egg and milk together. Stir in chilies and salt and pepper.

Add cheese and noodles, and stir well to combine. Pour the mixture into the crockpot.

It will be very liquidy.

Cover and cook on low for 2-5 hours, or on high for 1-3. Mine took about 4 hours. Then I switched it to warm for a bit. It was not quite as sauc-y as I would have liked so next time I might cook it for a little less time.

What We Thought:
Both the boy and I both loved this. Like I said, I would have like a little more sauce, both other than that, it was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment